Tuesday, December 8, 2009

We did it!

Dearest Aunt Jana,
I know that you had the best of intentions and in the end I will surely thank you and so will my dental bills that will hopefully not be very large with our dear Paisley. At the sweet age of 20 months I have taken away the one thing that Miss Paisley holds very dear and close to her heart (and her mouth). Her "baba." One day I just decided to do it, it was about a week and a half ago.... I was noticing a trend in the pictures on my blog, she has a bottle in every one of them. And so I said, "this is it, we are done." And that was that. She throws down the sippys that I give her, but then eventually takes it. She walks up to me out of nowhere and says all sweet like, "baba?" Which I say no and hand her a cup or a sippy. It really went off quite well. I was surprised to say the least. Then this little devil came out of her. She gets into everything! Constantly opening things she knows she shouldn't, I say "no, Paisley, no." And she goes right back for it, not once, not twice, but like 5 or 6 times, like she knows it torks me off. Food throwing, tantrum crazed, cat tail pulling (yes! On the poor nubby of the expensive cat!) And you wanna know the worst part? The girl DOES NOT sleep! My kids have never been sleepers really, not much for REM cycles I guess. It takes me until like 4 o'clock to get her down for the 1 o'clock nap, then she is up at night until 11 or 12, this is not doable. It's all my fault, depending on that bottle so much, now she can't even sleep without it. When it gets so late, I am half tempted to give her the dang thig so I can go to sleep. But then I have to start all over when she's like 4! In other words, she has now become Beck Jr. My sweet, innocent, angel Paisley, is no longer so sweet. Still cute, but kind of a brat. :) So now what Aunt Jana? Do know that I thank you, I needed some major motivation (move on to Kortni now, Piper still sometimes has a bottle!!) :) Sorry to rat you out Kortni. ;) But I have tried to give her a different lovie; babies, blankies, and she holds on to them for a second, but nothing comforts her like that dang teeth rotter. Any ideas out there? Will my angel ever return?

11 comments:

Jana said...

Could it just be the terrible twos - and a coincidence that it happened all at the same time. If she only has water it would be OK if she still had the bottle but unfortunately you might slip and give her juice. Don't worry - if you think it's hard now - wait 10 more years. What would happen if you kept Paisley up all day - would she sleep better during the night? It's sometimes hard to do what is right but keep it up. When you don't have to sit through those dentist visists when it takes 2-3 hours to fill their teeth and they have to be put under you will be so glad. I swear it was really hard sitting in the waiting room wondering if she was OK and would she be OK (I think it's pretty dangerous to put a kid out and not really have anyone there to monitor them.) Wish I had a miracle cure for you but this will be one of many trials you go through - guess I don't sound too encouraging but being a parent is HARD! (and very rewarding!)

Crystal said...

Good luck it sounds like my Olivia-but she still has a bottle and a binki. I think you motivated me to get rid of them. Thanks and hang in there!

Anonymous said...

I am going through the same thing right now, and she is only 8 months! HELP!

maybe we could get together and I take them one night and you can take them the next!?!?

hennchix said...

I do not believe that sweet Pais is a brat!! That adorable child?! I used water in the bed/nap bottles from the beginning-you know, when it is easier to put them in bed with a baba-Then they just pretty much got rid of it on their own. You could try "losing" all the baba's, or having her give them to someone else who has a young baby and "needs" some. As far as when the sweet angel comes back---about 30. =).

Kortni said...

K-I want to know if you are the one that is cheating and giving Piper a bottle, cuz she hasn't had one at my house for a few months now!!!!

Korbi said...

Kortni is a liar, or 3 weeks turned into months for her in a matter of days! :)

Jana said...

Hey girls - no fighting! Just get them both off the bottle unless it's water! If only I had it to do all over again - I might actually be the perfect mother - naw that would never happen!

tiff said...

Hey she doesn't seem to miss a bottle at my house..... Slept all night last night 12hours..... Love you Korbi

Rischel said...

keep the consistancy! I went through the same thing with Emry with her pacifier. DEVIL, yes, she was. Do it now while they are young, so they don't remember. It will come to an end, and then you will get to deal with a new phase. Comforting I know, but if I can get through something, ANYONE can.
Come and visit me. ( I am not giving up)

Take care, it was good to see ya,
Risc

Ashton & Co. said...

Getting off the bottles is one of the hardest things at our house usually, too!!! Good job! stay tuff!

twylla said...

Oh well babies have to learn different things anad this is her time. When Terry was litttle he carried his baba around under his arm. Nothing in it just a pacifier I guess Any way one day I took him to the neighbor that thad a little new baby and I convinced him to leave the bottle for the new baby because she didnt have a babab and he did much to my surprise and he never asked for it very often and I would say remember we gave it to that litttle baby that didnt have one and he would wander off to play with something. It worked for him but not all kids are the same. They are very possive of their special things.