Friday, January 15, 2010

Stubborn Gal

$25 later, I get the reaffirmation that I could never do life alone and that my hubby is a hero!

I am kind of like my late Grandpa Beck, I pride myself with having banked at the same bank since I was 14 years old and received my first pay check from a job. KeyBank is my friend. Jr High, High School, College, early married years.... KeyBank was there with their free checking, although I never used checks, free debit card. And even when I went in bawling with a baby Beck asleep in my arms, after an embarrassing trip to Wal-Mart, 3 years ago because of fraudulent activity on my card creating $300 in Over Draft fees and a denied debit card, the nice man at KeyBank was there to calm me and assure me that all that would be reversed and I could have my money back. KeyBank loves me and my never having an OD charge. So yesterday Stephen brought home an invite from Chase bank that he received in the mail to open up a checking account with them and get $100 free! I thought for a minute, no way could I sell myself out of my beloved KeyBank, even though the teller still never recognizes me and I've been banking there 6 years, for a mere 100 bucks. But then Stephen said I could spend it however I wanted if I decided to do it. So I slept on it and me and Paisley packed up in the morning and headed to the bank.
The gal at Chase was so nice. I had to have Stephen on the account with me because the invite was sent in his name, but we decided to open the account anyway and he could come and sign it tomorrow and I could collect my $100. Then I signed away and decided to ask what happens if I decide to close the account? "Oh, well, there would be a $25 penalty." Oh, okay... and any other restrictions? "yes, you need to use your debit card at least 5 times a month."
Hmmm.... crap....
So I left the bank feeling all anxiety ridden and then Stephen returned my call telling me NOT to sign up for it, especially when I wouldn't remember to use the debit card 5 times a month, or I'd get a $6 charge and he didn't want to be on my account any way because I don't have any money. LOL ;) Great, I told him that I'd already done it and he said that I needed to go back and cancel it because I would rack up the $25 cancellation fee in a few months anyway. So me and Paisley returned to the bank for the umpteenth time today and sat and waited for maybe 30 minutes and gave her my $25 bucks and canceled the whole thing. It was my own fault, I signed the paper, I am the one that doesn't know anything about finances, I raise babies and teach 3 year olds.... I left feeling relieved and upset at the same time. Relieved that I didn't have to worry about how many times I used my debit card and relieved to not have to change all my PayPal, Ebay, Wal-mart on-line photo lab payment card info, but upset that for the first time in my life I had given the bank unnecessary money. So pretty much my first Over Draft fee that was not really an OD fee, but a cancellation fee but same sort of "crap, that was money that I could have spent, but wasted instead fee." It is an awful feeling. But then I saved $15 on a cute dress from Maurices, so maybe I only wasted $10 today right???? But really, this is what I get for trying to turn my back on my beloved KeyBank, I get you Grandpa Beck, stubborn old thing that he was, he never turned his back on his bank, and I won't ever try to again!

My hubby just called... he called the manager at Chase Bank and after Tuesday if I go in and talk to Theresa I can get my $25 back! Whoo hoo! And once again, hubby saves the day.....

8 comments:

Mindy said...

Will Stephen call MY bank and get some money back for me???? I can't wait to see your new dress!

Sommers said...

Did you get to keep the $100 dollars? If so you actually made money!! $75.

Jana said...

Just to point out the fact that if Stephen hadn't brought the invite home in the first place and secondly if he (or you) would have read the fine print you would have never gone to the bank - remember it's always easier to blame your husband - just ask Terry. Also it doesn't seem like the account was ever opened because Stephen hadn't signed yet. If it seems to good to be true then it usually is - like 99.9% of the time. But look on the bright side - lesson learned! We learn from our mistakes.

Korbi said...

I didn't get the $100 because Stephen hadn't signed yet... :(

Kathy’s Korner said...

I call expenses like that tuition! They are so painful. Glad you can get it back, what a scam!

Ty Robbins said...

So, I bank @ Chase and I've never had those kind of stipulations on our account. Weird. Maybe, it's because we transferred from Wamu. Still though, that seems pretty ridiculous that you, first of all, have to use the card 5 times a month. And secondly, they CHARGE you $25 to close it! DUMB! I'm glad you will get your money back.

Jess said...

What a great post Korbi!! Gotta hate that stupid fine print! Hannah is still.....talking about the stairs :)

The Jones Crew said...

Cute story. I still chuckled just thinking about your little adventure.