Monday, February 15, 2010

Careful, MAJOR picture and project overload!

One night, (10 PM) a little over a month ago my sister-in-law, aka Best sis-in-law in the world, came to Moses Lake to pick up her son and asked why I hadn't painted my table black yet? (I have been talking of doing this for a little over 2 years) I told her it was too big of a job right now and maybe I would do it in the summer. NOT a good enough answer for her, so she whipped out my brushes and a staple remover aka pain in the butt for the next 8 hours remover... to remove about 1,000 staples and nails from the benches, and I ran to Wal-Mart for black paint. If you have ever tried to get black paint from Wal-Mart before DON'T have them mix the kind on the sample cards. It's NOT BLACK. I made this mistake 3 years ago and that table is now home at my sister's house because I couldn't stand that it was charcoal/blue/gray and NOT BLACK. So anyways, the nighttime employees at Wal-Mart don't know how to mix black paint, so 2 AM we turn in for the night with the tables and now my bar stools primed and ready for paint. I made a trip to Home Depot in the morning for black paint which they also could not supply so Tiffanni brought some from ACE in Othello and came back to help me....I ain't gonna lie Tiffanni and sometimes Stephen, but mostly Tiff, did most of the work.... Thanks guys!!!
One and a half weeks later, (due to staining and finshing coat issues and no fan) and whoo la! Beautiful isn't it? and black bar stools to match!You see that brown cabinet over under the big round clock? That was my project late that first night while waiting for the primer to dry on the table and benches.... I came home with Turquoise paint and Stephen about died.....But later glazed, ain't half bad is she? For $20 at a yard sale and a year sitting in my garage!
The gals at All Things Thrifty and Tiffanni had me on a roll and I found this beauty for $40 on Craigslist. Stephen had been trying to buy all these ugly TV stands for our room because it was sitting on this old flimsy yard sale desk, and this was exactly what I had in mind!a Quart (with TONS left over) of "Burled Redwood" colored paint and my favorite Valspar Antiquing Glaze in Asphaltum color and this is what I end up with. Stephen was sick for a week with the flu, so it had to sit in the garage before I could get it inside when it was all done. Which was probably soooo much better for it because I usually try and haul my projects in when they are still sticky with paint because I am so darn excited!Isn't it perfect? LOVE IT!
Now on to an old chair I have had for a few years which I got at yet another yard sale for 50 cents (yes, I like to brag at how cheap I get stuff because my hubby still cannot understand for the life of him why I enjoy "dumpster diving?")WOW! LOVE IT! The material is left over from a rocking chair that my mother had made when I was born. I just had it reupholstered a little over a month ago for an insane price, but a steal of a deal on the fabric that I found at JoAnn's.
This was my from my "high chair phase" days back when Stephen and I were newlyweds. I cleaned my sister-in-laws (a different SIL) house and she gave me this beauty. I had 5 or 6 dffernt ones, but this is the only one that I kept when the phase was over. And this is what is looks like now.... after spray paint and glaze....
Which matches this little end table I had painted "black" years ago, but I had used that same gallon of paint that wasn't really black, so it bugged me pretty bad, and these were all to match the recently recovered rocking chair of my mothers also shown in the picture.This is what that little nook used to look like and now.....All fits together so nicely....And this is the chair that I found after Stephen posted this on his Facebook while sitting in the car as I rummaged though stuff at Bargain Town.....
Stephen Ashton: Taking korbi to dump to look for "stuff"... I really don't understand the thrill of it.
And I say, "$4 baby, that's why"!And now I have a new piano chair, since I don't have a bench! One man's trash is another (wo)man's treasure!
The fabric I used from my old bathroom curtains at our old house.This is what the upstairs living room used to look like once again. Brown bar stools, stained table and benches, brown cabinet, blue couches (now downstairs)As Kallie and Brooke from All Things Thrifty say "amazing what a little paint can do!" And new couches for Christmas. ;) and Target clearance pillows, and a free piano from above mentioned sister-in-law..... ;)

13 comments:

tiff said...

wow.... that is awesome. Everyting looks so good. I love the chairs and i love the thing in your room. its my favorite...

Lena Gilbert said...

Korbi, I believe you should take me dumpster diving sometime. This sounds like it could be great fun. It all looks great. Paint is amazing stuff..

Anonymous said...

um....wow...

Sommers said...

You are one talented girl. Where do you find the time?

hennchix said...

Holy Hannah Korbi!! You are one amazing woman! I am so impressed with how you are able to pull everything together, and for so little $$! Come do my place?

Micah E. said...

Wow wow wow! HGTV at the Ashton's. Pretty darn amazing!

Jess said...

WOW crafty lady!!! You have been busy!!! You are so fabulous ;)Now to convince Stephen/Steven about the piano?? :)

Anonymous said...

You are freakin AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jana said...

You are way too ambitious - I get tired just reading your blog. Everything looks great. Too bad my theory is that is why they make stores - so you don't have to do all that stuff. And how do you keep those kids out of the paint - guess that's why you do it late at night.

Jana said...

For your answer: We didn't run - we cheered and made sure they stayed on the course. 3 1/2 hours of work/play and a free Disney ticket - they ar $70. Not a bad deal. PS: a 5k is about 3.2 miles and no I would not run it because besides puking I'd probably pee my pants! Jennica runs them all the time - not sure where she gets that from!

Hall Family said...

All I can say is that I'm impressed! You are awesome. I hate you and Rachel! In a good way :)

Deborama said...

Nice! So much work Korbi! I love the dresser in your room! Oh and take it easy with the best sister-in-law stuff! You will hurt everyones feelings.........oh you weren't talking about ME? :)

Miranda said...

Are you kidding me? My jaw is just like, dangling open here. The table! The chairs! The cabinet! You have a knack Korbi.