Friday, October 8, 2010

I Never want to see another apple for a LONG LONG time!

It's that time of year again.. applesauce making time! My friend Bethany and I were at a Relief Society activity 4 years ago where they showed us how to make applesauce and can it. We decided that we could do it and have done it every year since. Each year we have to reteach ourselves how to do it and when we're done we say that we maybe won't do it again! This year we got ambitious and did 3 1/2 boxes.... yeah, to tell the truth, it sucked. ;) My friend Becky was able to join us from 9-12:30 (girl got lucky and had to go take her daughter to school) She was a big help in figuring out how the saucers went together though, we definitely needed her when it came time to take them apart... and Bethany and I kept going until 7 that night. We got 42 quarts and 32 pints. This is a picture of Bethany with her brand new baby Berlynn and the VERY LAST APPLE! Whoo hoo! All the kids were psycho, the house was a disaster, but we only had to make one trip into town for more regular sized seals... We had 2 pots going of boiling water to seal the jars, 3 pans of apple cooking, two saucers, and mountain dew and diet pepsi to keep us on top of it...Before clean up...and after.... awww... makes me feel so much better!

Until next year you pesky pieces of fruit...

3 comments:

Jana said...

Wow - I'm not sure if you want to hear this but you sound just like Twylla and her corn, relish, etc. As I told her - you can buy that stuff in the grocery store. I know you two get some kind of thrill from canning but I just don't get it. I dried cherry tomatoes twice and they will probably sit in my freezer all winter.
It doesn't matter what you do - your time will get filled with something else until your kids move out - so enjoy it while you can. Even though we weren't supposed to keep score when they played 6v6 soccer the girls knew who won and which team was the toughest. I thnk we had a little too much competiveness in our family especially when we were coaching

The Peterson's said...

Sounds like fun...oh wait no i doesnt. Hee Hee. I have never canned anything so I guess I don't really have a say. I have done Strawberry Jam and that actually was kinda fun but I still have a ton of it in my freezer. Want some LOL. You are always so busy. It's very inspiring. P.S. Your kitchen is beautiful. :)

Ashton & Co. said...

Wow! Good for you! I wish we were applesauce likers at our house!