Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Beast has been tamed

I finally got the gas/propane guy to come out on Thursday morning. He checked for leaks and filled our tank. He said that the smell was coming from the tank being so low and that is one reason you can see if your tank is low because it is smelling stronger. So as he was getting ready to leave I asked him if I could just run the oven for him, just to make sure and ease my mind. So I cranked it up to 400 degrees and watched it ignite and start to heat up. We chatted while it was heating about how I will be excited to use the stove once I get used to it and then all of a sudden he looks down (after the smell just keeps getting stronger and stronger) and he sees the flames in the oven reaching up the sides and he throws off the switches and pulls the oven out and switches off the emergency gas valve. He looks back at me and says, "your are right, that is not normal." As my headache is getting worse and worse from the stove and my eyes are watering from the odor, I smiled. I smiled because I knew something was wrong, I knew that no way could a brand new stove be setting off carbon monoxide detectors and my smoke alarms, there had to be a reason. Turns out the oven had not been "collaborated" correctly, meaning that they didn't hook it up how they were supposed to and it had been burning way too hot and leaking carbon monoxide into our air. Ha! Lady at Sears! take that! I had been calling over there over and over again trying to get someone out here and she kept telling me that they don't deal with gas ovens and I was saying then why did YOU sell it to the builder? She was saying that she couldn't get someone out there until the next next Thursday. And before I had the gas guy come out I was saying that I was nervous because it was setting off the detectors and she said that wasn't her problem.... even told her that the gas/propane guy had "red tagged" my oven and that means that he shut it all down and I couldn't even use the burners until it has been fixed and I got all these signatures and such. She said, sorry, no luck. So then I told Stephen what happened and he called the builder while I was teaching and the builder had someone there within 20 minutes because of the dire situation and by 5 PM that night my stove was in tip top shape.

Needless to say, I am still terrified to turn it on.

4 comments:

twylla said...

Oh korbi am I glad you and your family are o.k. That is really scary to me. I know Sears and their help im my days have been terrible. i do not go to Sears for anything I dont have to. All their employeers and Managers are just like that. it is always your fault. but I am so grateful that you are all fine. You really need to notify the general company on the serveice you received. They mneed to know. Not the local yokels but the big wheeels from the big company. Just do this it might save someones life.

Anonymous said...

I would be scared to use it too! YOUR roof might come off!>>>.

Samantha said...

Whoa that's a scary story. I'm glad you followed your gut and that everyone is okay. Yikes.

Ty Robbins said...

Wow! I can't believe that she would tell you "It's not my problem." Customer service anyone? Geesh! I'm glad you got it fixed and were extra cautious by having the guy there while the oven was on.