Thursday, May 13, 2010

Love Language

I read the Love Language book a long time ago and my love language used to be "gifts" yes, I am materialistic, it didn't have to be a lavish gift, but a well thought out gift. Stephen could buy me a car (which was super exciting our first Christmas together) or he could search out a book that is on my list of books I wanna read, and as long as he thought about it and got it because he thought I liked it, then it was wonderful! Whether $10,000 or $8, doesn't matter. I think lately I have been leaning more towards the "acts of service" love language, with a little of "gifts" mixed in. Like last night for example, when my baby Paisley was up all night with a temperature spiking into 104.5 degrees. Makes my heart break that I was mad at her for a few hours of her whimpering before I finally picked her up and felt her burning up. Makes me feel like so NOT the Mother of the Year, but anyways, after some Motrin and lots more whimpering (we moved downstairs to be nice to Stephen and Beck) 4 am rolls around and fever is not coming down. Tried to wake Stephen up numerous times, I am stumbling around because I can barely keep my eyes open, I decide to take her in. I get dressed, change her diaper, get the keys and take her temp again and it is finally dropping... so I waited. She is doing better, holding a steady temp of 102, but a lot more comfortable than she was. Dr says because of no other symptoms, not much they can do anyway.... And the point of all this is that I was thinking, take back the car, the books, the jewelry, some good 'ol "acts of service" would do wonders about now... my sleeping beauty of a husband, bless his heart.... ;)

LOVE LANGUAGE
That brings me to this that I found on my sister's blog this morning:
The Missing Love Language
Gary Chapman missed a love language.
The birthday language. If both individuals in a relationship do not speak the birthday language-it's trouble.
To some birthdays = a card. To other's a nice dinner or a pricey present.
But to the most challenging of us, it means thought.You don't buy someone a birthday present to spend money on them, you buy them a present to say 'hey I know you really well and here's a present to show you how well I know you' or at the very least 'hey, you know how you mentioned you wanted this thing 20 times prior to your birthday, I listened'.It seems wrong to tell someone how you want them to celebrate your birthday, and then have to remind them frequently of what they're suppose to do on your birthday, but it's better than being vastly disappointed when the big day goes unremembered or ignored (oh sure, you could be a grownup, realizing that birthdays are selfish, trite and there's bigger problems in the world, but it's your birthday and you can cry if you want to)- but after a few years, they'll learn to speak the birthday language too....at least I hope.
(Side note: the above can also be applied to valentines day, christmas, mother's day, and anniversaries)

from http://welcometomysoapbox.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

JimnAnne Ringle said...

Good thing you "blessed Stephen's heart." That cancels out all negative thoughts you had about him in the middle of the night. :) Makes me smile every time you write that!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Blogs are great places for husband bashing...

Korbi said...

good thing I wasn't bashing my husband...