Saturday, July 26, 2008

Relay for Life in Othello








Last night we stayed the night in Othello for the Relay for Life. We had a booth that Aunt Lilly was "Team Captain" of called Victory for Verella. Verella was Stephen's Grandma who passed away in 2000 from cancer. She is Ann's mom. Bob, Stephen's dad, and Jack, his uncle, are cancer survivors. They had the Survivors walk the first lap and gave them a medal. It was cool to see all the purple survivor shirts and pretty emotional. It's weird how you never really think about something until it happens to you or your family and then you get all involved and try and make things better. So it's a good and a bad thing. After the Survivor's lap they had the groups take a lap together and a lot of the Yorgesens and most of the Ashtons and Gilberts were there. Beck was obsessed with the Giant Carebears walking around and wouldn't really leave them alone. He kept going up and "tapping" them from behind until they'd turn around and hug him or say hi and then he'd do it again and again. I felt bad, but I guess they get paid, or they knew what they were volunteering for. :) Beck wasn't too sure about his Uncle Ruben dressed as Dorothy for the Mr. Relay, as you can tell by the look on his face. Ruben looked good and played the part well. Stephen and I were signed up to walk from 2-3 AM and then after that I was zonked out. Paisley actually slept really well for her first time sleeping in a tent outside with music blaring all night long. It took Beck about an hour after I laid him down at 11 to get to sleep because it was so loud. He kept covering his ears and saying, "mama, WOUD!" It was pretty cute. The music was really loud, I felt bad for him. But he did eventually get to sleep and slept OK. I got up about 7 I think and walked for a bit more and then again at 8. Tiffanni and a few others were up all night taking turns walking because we had a few family members not show up for they shift. Oops. All in all it was a fun time with good memories. And guess how much little Old Othello raised for Cancer Research?? Just guess.... $102,000. Isn't that crazy?


3 comments:

Ashton & Co. said...

Wow! You guys are amazing! Good job to do that with your 2 little ones. I've always thought those relays were so neat. Good pics, too. I'm glad you got one of Bob in his purple shirt. What a special thing you guys did! Yeah for you!

Pearsons said...

I just love you little Paisley everytime I see her she just keeps getting cuter. What a cute little family you have. It amazes me how much you do with your kids, I only have one and I never ventur out on myslef. I tried wal mart by myself on Saturday and never again will I do that.

Brit said...

Wow what a neat thing to be apart of!!! Way to go for making all night with two little ones!!!